The Philippine Embassy is closely monitoring the Beard fire in the ACT. According to the ACT Emergency Service Agency, the Kallaroo Fire and the Pialligo Redwood Forest Fire merged as of 2:14 PM (AEST) today.
The Embassy requests all Filipinos in the ACT to constantly monitor and heed the instructions of local authorities and take all necessary precautions and recommended actions.
According to ACT ESA:
The fire is travelling in a south easterly direction towards Beard, Harman, Oaks Estate and Crestwood (Queanbeyan). The fire is out of control. Firefighters are on scene. However, under current conditions, the fire is difficult to control. People in the area may be affected by thick smoke and embers, which will reduce visibility and air quality.
ACT ESA issued the following advice:
People in Beard, Harman, Oaks Estate, Crestwood, Pialligo and Brindabella Business Park are advised to follow warnings and information for the Beard Fire. People in Beard, Harman, Oaks Estate and Crestwood should:
- SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. It is now too late to leave.
- If you are not in the area, do not return.
- The fire may pose a threat to all lives directly in its path. People in these suburbs are in danger and need to seek immediate shelter as the fire approaches.
- Driving now is extremely dangerous and potentially deadly.
- Call Triple Zero (000) if your life is under immediate threat.
People in Pialligo and Brindabella Business Park should:
- Stay up to date and monitor conditions.
- Stay in their location.
Filipinos in ACT may check the following: